Friday, July 15, 2005

What family was watching this, anyway?

I didn't think that I would be ranting so soon. Yet, here we are.

I just read that Ben Jones ("Cooter" from "The Dukes of Hazzard" TV series) is urging fans to boycott the new movie because, in his words, "Basically, they trashed our show," said Jones, who now lives in the mountains of Washington, Va. "It's one thing to do whatever movie they want to do, but to take a classic family show and do that is like taking "I Love Lucy" and making her a crackhead or something."

I'm sorry, what? A classic family show?? "The Dukes of Hazzard"? Wow. When I was watching the Dukes of Hazzard I was certain of two things:
  • I was watching it to catch a glimpse (any glimpse) of Daisy Duke is as little clothing as possible.
  • My family and I were NOT watching it together.

And comparing "The Dukes of Hazzard" to "I Love Lucy" is just wrong.

As a rule I am completely against "updating" a TV series as an excuse to make a movie. This type of thinking has lead to the current decline of originality in Hollywood (the subject of another rant, I'm sure). However, as fond as Mr. Jones is of his 15 minutes of fame I have to wonder how seriously deluded the man is to actually believe that "The Dukes of Hazzard" was a family show and that it can even be mentioned in the same breath as "I Love Lucy" - and I'm not even a big fan of "Lucy".

And just the thought of either "Lucy" or "Ethel" in a pair of 'Daisy Dukes' has made me nauseous...

Thanks, Cooter.

1 Comments:

Blogger Summer Ryan Doyle said...

This is my favorite quote from the E! Online story I read about this:

"You probably know that the creators of this film wanted absolutely nothing to do with the original members of the cast," Cooter writes. "Doesn't that seem strange to you, given how popular our show is right now and how popular our cast still is? After all, our huge success for so many years is the reason they are making the film, and the film, after all, is about us."

I think Cooter's been nipping a bit too heavily on the moonshine...

12:47 PM, July 18, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home