Friday, August 26, 2005

"Congratulations, Dad; Here's your daughter"

Jenna was born 13 years ago today and I remember it like it was yesterday.
For the first 4 months after Pam (Jenna's Mom) told me she was pregnant I walked around thinking "This is my son! The heir to the throne" blah blah blah. Then, after going to the doctors office for check ups and listening to her explain all the things that can go wrong I started walking around thinking "Let the baby be healthy! 10 fingers, 10 toes!" and to hell with gender preference.
Then the big day came and I was in the delivery room (but not TOO close to the action). While Pam was doing all the hard work I stood on the sidelines and I found myself crying. It was just too amazing to comprehend and yet I was extremely self-conscious about it. So I stood silent and in the middle of all the action a nurse came over to me and said "I've been doing this a long time and the one thing I've learned is that men are the only ones who really know how to cry".
I've always appreciated that - even if its a bold faced lie I've always appreciated her saying so.
Anyway, Jenna was born, the doctor announced "It's a girl" and the same nurse asked me if I wanted to cut the cord. I absolutely did so I cut the umbilical cord. Then the nurse took her away to get her cleaned up. Seconds later, the nurse reappeared with a tiny little bundle in her arms. She held her out to me and said "Congratulations, dad; here's your daughter."
My daughter.
I took her in my arms and looked down at my daughter and I knew right then that I wouldn't trade her for ten boys.
And I still wouldn't.
I have cherished every single moment that we have spent together. I am proud, lucky and honored to be her Dad. I always have been and I always will be.
I love you, Jenna!
Happy Birthday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home