Wednesday, November 16, 2005

A Robust American

Lately the posts here at Improbable Bostonian have been decidely political in nature. Of course, this is very simple when one considers our current Administration and their many foibles. However, I can only take so much political talk before a gag reflex takes over and I am forced to excuse myself from the conversation before I hurl all over some conservative shoes.
Sorry, Jim.
Anyway, I was mentally preparing next weeks vegetable selections and I was trying to decide what wine we should bring to the table. Katie and I have a rather extensive wine collection. Nothing too fancy but it is rather full. In fact, this prompted my daughter to announce "My Dad drinks alot of wine!" to her 6th grade class. I quickly pointed out the difference between owning alot of wine and drinking alot of wine.
But I digress.
I am quite partial to "robust reds". If you can ever get your hands on a Seghesio 1998 Old Vine Zinfandel then I HIGHLY recommend that you do so. However, this Thanksgiving I wanted something a bit more "American". Thankfully, the Boston Globe provided this very timely article:
New World Bottles
With it, they recommended the following wines for your Thanksgiving table:
I have never tried any of these wines so I do not speak for their character. However, I believe that we'll have a bottle of Gouguenheim Winery Mendoza Malbec 2003 on our table this year.
If you do try any of these wines, leave your opinions here. Because, as an entire 6th grade class is now well aware, we drink alot of wine.

3 Comments:

Blogger Summer Ryan Doyle said...

This is incredibly useful!! The last time Thom and I hosted Thanksgiving, our 7 person party (all family, mind you) polished off 8 bottles of wine throughout the day. Now, we did start at noon, but I'm telling you, we don't mess around.

9:30 AM, November 19, 2005  
Blogger Andy said...

Clearly you DON'T mess around! We polish off wine like that when we're in Italy.

May I also recommend wine.com as a Christmas gift? 2 bottles of fantastic wines shipped to your door each month. It's like Christmas every month!

10:11 AM, November 21, 2005  
Blogger Cynthia said...

I brought for my host two bottles of the Marietta Red Wine Lot #37 because #38 was not yet available in CT. My "wine guy" assured me that it was very good (at $10 a bottle) and would go very well with turkey. Most other folks who had it that day did so before the table but I bided my time and had it with the meal. An excellent turkey chaser! Thanks for the tip!

He also said that if you have a Seghesio 1998 Old Vine Zinfandel that you should drink it now because it's only downhill from here. The 2003 costs 21.99--will have to go back when I am in the mood to splurge, that is, I buy it to drink it, not collect.

If you're looking for a robust red to try, have a glass of Tumara Titan 2001, Bellevue Estate Wine. It's South African with a mix of Cab. Sauv.(67%), Merlot (15%), Cab. Franc (11%) and Malbec (7%). It's a bold, rich wine--not for the weak of heart. It can also be cellared for up to 8 years. I had it at a wine tasting; it was fabulous.

7:33 AM, November 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home