Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Some Ramblings

This past week saw the passing of some heavyweights of the small screen: Don Knotts and Darren McGavin.
I can't write enough good things about Don Knotts, particularly his work on The Andy Griffith Show. He was the David Hyde Pierce of his generation; meaning that the "sidekick" on the show was so much more than the lead actor ever was. Knotts won a Best Supporting Emmy in a Comedy series each of the 5 times that he was nominated (Hyde Pierce only won 4 times). While Knotts' later work as Ralph Furley on Three's Company lacked the nuances of Deputy Barney Fife, Knotts was still able to wring actual laughs out of the usually trite scripts. In all things, Don Knotts was the consummate comedian.
I will only say two things about Darren McGavin: Kolchak,The Night Stalker and Fra-Gee-lay. If you don't know what either of these references mean then shame on you.
May they both rest in peace.
In other news...
Katie and I enjoyed a well-deserved afternoon of movie watching on Sunday. Our choice - Brokeback Mountain. Heath Ledger completely disappears into the skin of Ennis Del Mar, who is instantly a classic, iconic character. I am man enough to admit that I was verklempt at the end of this wonderful movie. Sure, it's the "Gay Cowboy Movie" but it is also the most beautiful love story that I have seen in years.
Now to the weather desk...
It's FREAKING cold out.
Back to A&E news:
Did you watch Bleak House on PBS for the past 6 weeks? If not, you missed out on a truly great production. Katie and I have never read Dickens' novel but we will now. A cast of dozens brought Victorian England in all its splendor and decay to glorious life. Catch it again on Masterpiece Theatre or add it to your Netflix list now - you won't be disappointed.
Finally, Back to the Future is most worthy of its status as a classic movie over at TCM, at least according to myself, Cynthia Robinson and Summer Ryan Doyle, who explains her position in this matter quite wonderfully over at The Wyrd Sisters.
Stay warm!

3 Comments:

Blogger Cynthia said...

Darren McGavin was also great in "The Natural".

5:00 PM, February 28, 2006  
Blogger Cynthia said...

I also remember a certain buckaroo being rather cautious when meeting my gay friends while I was in seminary. You've come a long way, baby.

7:34 PM, February 28, 2006  
Blogger Andy said...

You're absolutely right about my "cautious" nature at the first Seminary dances. In fact, I have often credited those parties as being my first real-world experience with gay friends (of friends). These were but one of many times that my preconceived notions were scattered to the wind as so much crapola.

10:54 AM, March 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home