Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Back to the Future Blog - Part II

I knew that I could count on Summer Ryan Doyle for a thought-provoking and fun response to the query "Is Back to the Future a Classic Movie?
For anyone too lazy to click on her original response link then I am giving you another chance to read it here.
For the record, Summer, I completely agree with you - except for the fact that my brother never asked me to stop watching the tape after 17 viewings.
In your reply, you asked "...can an eight year old girl watch Back to the Future today and see past the dated soundtrack and hairstyles to the story beneath. Will she be moved by it? Will it stay with her? I'm not sure."
Good question.
I watched the movie with Jenna almost one year ago so she was 12 at the time. Did she like it? Yes. Did she laugh at all the right jokes? Yes. Did she just love Doc brown? Yes. Did she love the movie? No. I believe that she said (with a shrug) "It was good...but not my favorite."
Keep in mind, she said this about Star Wars. She liked it but added that the special FX were really bad and Mark Hamill is a lousy actor. However, she LOVED the original Robin Hood with Errol Flynn as well as Raiders of the lost Ark so all is not lost.
Summer also stated "You don't have to justify your tastes to anyone. One man's classic is another's boring piece of junk (Chinatown was painful to get through and I thought The Maltese Falcon was kinda slow)."
This begs the question: What do you consider to be your Top 5 Movies of Re-Watchability? What movies can you just watch over and over again to the point where your brother tells you to get another obsession?
Let me know and we'll discuss later. I'm off to compose my list...
The Maltese Falcon was kinda slow?

5 Comments:

Blogger Summer Ryan Doyle said...

I imagine Jenna's reaction is probably typical of people her age--she didn't experience the '80s so the aesthetic of the movie doesn't resonate with her.

(And yes, I have a difficult time with the pacing of Hitchcock's movies, brilliant though they may be. My MTV-fueled brain demands faster rhythms.)

My top 5 (+1 for bonus) in no particular order:

Breakfast Club
Notting Hill
The 5th Element
Garden State
The Professional
The Princess Bride

12:08 PM, March 01, 2006  
Blogger Cynthia said...

There are MANY movies I could, and I do, watch over and over again. But the movies that have had a very profound affect on me I would never consider adding to my collection because the 2nd viewing and those that follow just aren't the same as that first experience, i.e., "Crash", "Brokeback Mountain", "The Constant Gardner", just to name a few.

So, to answer the challenge, here are a few picks:

Star Trek movies 2, 4, 6, plus Generations, First Contact, and Insurrection (because it's a franchise, I'm counting it as one.)
Babette's Feast
Jesus of Montreal
Brief Encounter
Field of Dreams
Barbarians at the Gate

3:24 PM, March 01, 2006  
Blogger Andy said...

I consider a rewatchable to be like comfort food. I always know what I'm getting and it always satisfies me. I have WAY too many of these but I will stick to a list of 5.

My Top 5 Re-Watchables in no particular order:

Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan
Jaws
The Philadelphia Story
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Grease

and as an extra added embarrassment - a tie:

On Golden Pond
Murphy's Romance

3:51 PM, March 01, 2006  
Blogger Cynthia said...

I LOVE "Murphy's Romance"! James Garner is excellent in this movie. And Carole King's music makes for a great soundtrack.

You're just a big old softie. I shoulda known with someone who loved dancing to the "Dirty Dancing" soundtrack. :-)

4:46 PM, March 01, 2006  
Blogger Andy said...

I am NOT a softie. I am a culturally diverse man who enjoys all genres of film and television.

Ah, who am I kidding? I cried watching "Bridges of Madison County" and I would still dance to the Dirty Dancing soundtrack.

I can still do the "hand Jive" to the Grease soundtrack, too.

Boy, Summer is learning way to much about me in this blog...

11:20 AM, March 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home