Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Goodbye Children!

No more will we hear a friendly "Hello children! What are you little crackas up to today?" from our beloved James McElroy aka "Chef" on South Park.

Why?

Because Chef is Leaving South Park

Isaac Hayes feels that South Park has "crossed the line" from satire to hatred and bigotry regarding religion. Of course, its interesting that Hayes attitude only comes after South Park created an episode entitled "Trapped in the Closet" which lampooned the bejeezus out of Scientology, of which Hayes is a devout follower.

To put this in context, here are some of the quotes from episodes about religions that Hayes does not belong to, nor did he object to their content:

Cartman (singing): I want to get down on my knees and start pleasing Jesus. I want to feel his salvation all over my face.
Other Mom: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
Chef: Hello there, children.
Stan: Chef! What would a priest want to stick up my butt?
Chef: Goodbye.
Cartman: Alright. Look. I didn't want to have to say this, but I think maybe we're not seeing heaven because one of us doesn't believe in it enough.
Kyle: Huh?
Cartman: Heaven could be like the pixie fairies of Bubblegum Forest. You only see them if you really believe in them.
Stan: What?
Cartman: You know, maybe we're not seeing heaven because one of us is a J-O-O.
Kyle: What does me being a Jew have to do with anything?
Cartman (singing): Whenever I see Jesus up on that cross/I can't help but think that he looks kinda' hot.
Cartman: Well God, I guess you got me again, didn't you? Yeah, that was a good one, God. Hope it made you laugh, you sick bastard.
Cartman: Think about it - it's the easiest, crappiest music in the world, right? If we just sing about how much we love Jesus, all the Christians will buy our crap."
Apparantly joking about Christianity and Judaism is okay.
Now, I'm all for standing up for what you believe in, but I think that I have to agree Matt Stone - it appears that Isaac Hayes wanted everything else to be the butt of the joke - just not something that he believes in.
And I HATE hypocrisy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Summer Ryan Doyle said...

This is my favorite quote from the article:

"He has no problem -- and he's cashed plenty of checks -- with our show making fun of Christians."

I wonder what they'll do with Chef to get him off the show. Some horribly embarrasing death I imagine...

12:23 PM, March 14, 2006  
Blogger Andy said...

That was my favorite quote, too! It fed right into the whole "hating hypocrisy" thing...

1:30 PM, March 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home