Friday, October 27, 2006

Trick or Treat

Halloween is coming!
My All Hallows Eve weekend festivities include carving pumpkins with Katie and Jenna, watching "The Omen", "Young Frankenstein" and, if all goes well, the pilot episodes of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel"; both of which were rerun on the last day of airings on the WB. God bless my DVR.
On Sunday we will make our way over to James's Gate in Jamaica Plain for adult beverages before we walk over to Jamaica Pond for The Jamaica Pond Lantern Parade. The Lantern Walk occurs annually on the last Sunday in October. People gather for a peaceful walk around the pond with lit candle lanterns. The parade has been a neighborhood celebration since the early 1980s. Since we started going in 1999 the crowd has greatly multiplied and there is now a band, fresh pressed cider, politicians, kids and many dogs making their way around the pond. As you cross the pond it is really a beautiful sight to look back across the water and see thousands of candles wind their way along the path through the trees and brush.
Of course, on Halloween night while Jenna is out terrorizing unsuspecting locals in Scituate, Katie and I will dress up in costumes, sit on our front porch and hand out candy to all of the little (and some not so little) kids that will make their way up our stairs. This years outfit is still unknown. I may be forced to break out my "Star Trek - The Next Generation" uniform. You have been warned.
Happy Halloween!

3 Comments:

Blogger Fox In Detox said...

I must have just missed you guys at the Gate. I was there from 2:00 until about 3:30. I meant to go to the pond, but I fell asleep. Two beers in the afternoon and I'm done. Not like the good old days I'll tell ya.

7:09 PM, October 30, 2006  
Blogger Andy said...

I'm sorry we missed you. There's nothing like a Guiness and Gate nachos on a cool, autumn afternoon!

8:03 AM, October 31, 2006  
Blogger Cynthia said...

I would pay good money to see you in that uniform.

Andrea celebrated her 10th birthday (born on the 29th) with some friends on Halloween this year. 10 yrs.! She was a ninja and wrapped dark tights around her face and head and wore a black reflective jogging jacket.

7:53 PM, November 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home