Monday, November 06, 2006

The Decemberists

Jenna went to her first concert on Saturday night. Well, technically it was her 2nd concert IF you count going to see Aaron Carter when she was 8 years old as a concert.
We don't count it.
Jenna and her friend Taylor met at the Orpheum and took in a show featuring The Decemberists. I met Taylor's parents beforehand, we waved goodbye to the kids at 7PM and off we went to fill a few hours of time until the show was over. I took this opportunity to Christmas gift browse for Katie and Jenna and also to check out a book or five at Borders while Taylor's parents went to dinner. Around 9:40 I went back to the Orpheum to wait for Jenna. A rude Orpheum employee told me "You have to wait outside to do that." Just then a crewmember from the band came over and gave me a free ticket (for the orchestra section) and told me to "Enjoy the rest of the show."
And enjoy it I did.
I sang along with the chorus on two songs and I listened to six songs before the encore started. At that time Jenna text-messaged me saying that the encores had started so I left the theatre and waited outside for her and her friends. Together again, I took pictures of the girls in front of the tour bus, waved goodbye to Taylor and Adam and we walked over to South Station. On the way there I presented Jenna with a CD of The Crane Wife - their newest album - because I figured that everyone should have a tangible reminder of their first concert.
The Boston Globe had this to say about the band.
Until two weeks ago I had never heard of The Decemberists so I know that I've reached a new level of life when I am learning about music groups from my daughter. Do yourself a favor and check out the eclectic, indie-folk sound of The Decemberists - you won't be disappointed.

2 Comments:

Blogger Summer Ryan Doyle said...

I'm so jealous! The Doyle crew tried to get ticktets to the show that day, but ticketmaster was sold out and the going price on other sites was $80-120. Bummer.

Jenna's so lucky to have a dad like you.

7:46 AM, November 08, 2006  
Blogger Andy said...

I couldn't believe that it was a sold out show, either!

Thank you so much for your kind compliment. I am very much aware how lucky I am to have her in my life while at the same time realizing that she's beginning to blaze her own trails without me.

Sesame Seed will be lucky to have you & Tom around, too. :-)

1:04 PM, November 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home