Tuesday, June 19, 2007

One Day

Father's Day brought me both a card from Malcolm:

And this poem from Jenna:

For You,
On Father's Day
A day a year
One day out of many,
Chosen to celebrate a person
in someone's life.

One day.

Just one day
Seems so short,
For such an important influence
Like you.

One day.

All the cards you've signed,
All the gifts you've chosen,
All the candy in the
Supermarket lines.

One day.

All the card games,
Teaching chess,
swearing during
Chutes and Ladders.

One day.

One day chosen
To remember all the moments
We've shared,
All the moments
We'll never forget.
And the one day
That comes once a year
just doesn't seem like enough
For someone as important,
As special,
As loved,
As someone like
My father.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cynthia said...

Wow, what a great poem and tribute. You are so blessed, my friend. I'm so glad for you that you got to be a dad. What a gift.

10:55 AM, June 19, 2007  
Blogger Andy said...

Thanks, Cindy. Alot.

She IS a gift to me. Being Jenna's Dad is the most important thing that I will ever do with my life.

11:14 AM, June 19, 2007  
Blogger Fox In Detox said...

Simply beautiful and very nicely put. It brought a tear to my eye. You're a lucky man, my friend....and your daughter...Poet Laureate perhaps?

12:26 PM, June 19, 2007  
Blogger Andy said...

Thanks Kathy - I am a very lucky man with a very talented daughter.

On Sunday I thanked her for letting me be a Father.

2:35 PM, June 19, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home