Monday, June 09, 2008

Wine and Conversation


Yesterday was our infrequent book club get-together. We ate imported cheeses and drank French red wine as we discussed yesterday's novel, which was "The Queen of the South". It was selected by Lisa and had only been read by half of the members in attendance. This should imply a short meeting. It did not.
During the time that our book club has been in existence I have learned that the book is never the focus of conversation for too long. Yesterday we had Bridget's friends Dana and Tuvie in attendance and they definitely had not read the book. Yet, rich conversation abounded. Among the topics discussed yesterday:

  • "You should definitely read "Salt."
  • "I am applying for a job in Alexandria. You have to come over for a visit if I get it."
  • "Arturo Perez-Reverte was skilled enough as an author that I'm reading the Captain Alatriste novels."
  • "There should be a White House cabinet position called "Historian". His job would be to point out how similar policy ideas have worked out in the past.
  • "If you've ever seen "The Verdict" with Paul Newman then you know how Arturo Perez-Reverte wrote 'The Queen of the South' - it's slow to start because it is laying the foundation for everything that comes later in the novel but it is worth the investment of time.
  • "'Bush's War' was an amazing piece of journalism. It was stunning to see who was willing to be interviewed on camera, time and date stamped, that shows that the dogs of war were rumbling within the White House long before 09/11."
I am always grateful for these meetings. By the end of the evening there were insights shared by a group of intelligent men and women. There wasn't one conversation that didn't receive a round table discussion by all. I left enlightened about different topics. I also left with two different books to read outside of the next book club selection.
Benjamin Franklin had his junto; I have book club.
I am so glad that at 42 years of age I am still curious about the world around me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cynthia said...

Nothing like good food, good drink, and good conversation to feed the soul.

Latest book I'm reading: A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose by Eckhart Tolle. I abhor the fact that it's an "Oprah" book, but it is also a worthy read.

11:13 AM, June 09, 2008  
Blogger Bridget said...

Such a great time. Dana and Tuve really enjoyed the topics that were discussed. No word yet on the Alexandria, Egypt job but if she gets it...I am absolutely taking Riley to visit her there!

10:53 AM, June 10, 2008  
Blogger Fox In Detox said...

I'm really sorry I missed it. Being me on Sunday was punishment enough.

12:08 PM, June 10, 2008  
Blogger Letera said...

Agree w/ Cynthia, put it on my ipod to listen to because myself unlike you are a terrible reader. I cant make myself sit still long enough to do that.
Its great you do that.

12:16 PM, June 10, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home