Friday, August 08, 2008

Decaffeinated


The plastic cup is covered with condensation. I absentmindedly wipe my hands together after placing the cup down on a napkin on my desk.
The see-through container shimmers as the ice cold, caramel colored coffee chills inside. Ice cubes slowly melt allowing the cream, sugar and coffee blend together in a cacophony of flavor.
It has been over one month since I had a cup of coffee.
A recent stomach irritation caused me no end of trouble. Finally, after two weeks of intermittent nausea I went to the doctor. Through a process of elimination I had narrowed down the likely source of my problem - caffeine. After a lengthy question and answer period (and some on the spot blood work) my doctor concurred with my self-diagnosis. Her prescription - a daily dose of Prilosec and no caffeine for two weeks. This meant I could still have chocolate but I was to have no coffee, tea or dark sodas. "No problem," I thought, eager to be rid of my stomach ailment.
For the last two weeks I have been completely without caffeine.
I have concluded that I did not miss soda.
I did miss coffee and tea.
I found that I do not need caffeine in the morning to start my day. I never suffered the dreaded "caffeine headache" or any other withdrawal symptoms. However, I missed the social aspect of coffee and tea drinking. Gone was my early weekend morning walk to Starbucks with Jenna or Vic. I could still go with them for the company, but I was forced to drink chai tea or water if I did so. Chai tea is a little too sweet for me. Water is, well, water. As I sat in any coffee house for the past month, my taste buds were betrayed by my sense of smell. I do enjoy the smell of a fresh brewed pot of coffee. I like a mug of coffee or tea as I read the Sunday Boston Globe. Mostly, I enjoy my iced coffees from Brueggers every workday morning.
All gone for the past month.
Yesterday I spoke with my doctor. I have had no stomach-related issues for over two weeks. its time to reintroduce the possible offender to my diet. For now I am allowed one caffeinated drink a day and I am to report my progress to the doctor. Future medical plans depend on the success or failure of one coffee a day.
Today I am having my first Brueggers iced coffee in over a month.
My medium iced coffee is here before me. The straw is in place. The napkin beneath the cup is wet with slight perspiration. It calls to me..

6 Comments:

Blogger Fox In Detox said...

Enjoy friend...but make sure there's a men's room somewhere in sight for at least 45 minutes after you finish. :o)

8:54 AM, August 08, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

Best of luck.

But if it doesn't work out does it mean your free coffee card is up for grabs?

No matter. I don't drink coffee. So, while I can not identify with your 'suffering' I do still sympathize with it.

11:29 AM, August 08, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great post. I'm curious to hear the ending!

7:31 PM, August 08, 2008  
Blogger Bridget said...

So, did it call to you and then YELL or did it chill out and behave? Anxious to hear the verdict as I feel your pain. Though I must say, I couldn't handle the no caffeine aspect of your ailment. Good luck.

1:38 AM, August 09, 2008  
Blogger 1st Lady said...

I'm supposed to be off caffeine too, and alcohol, and chocolate, but I cant.. I CANT! I enjoy my mornings browsing my favourite blogs with a warm cup of coffee. Orange juice or water wouldn't work.

Well done to you. Couldnt have been easy, that photo looks wonderful...

Time for a cuppa...

7:42 AM, August 10, 2008  
Blogger Letera said...

That is a hard one. I love my coffee in the am. It is my favorite thing for the am. I hope you can have one coffee a day like you would want to drink it.

1:35 PM, August 10, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home