Monday, August 11, 2008

Milestones


Mark's small, private backyard wedding had been wonderful. Now the party was winding down. The sun was setting over Kingston as I walked with Jenna and Wes toward the cars parked out front.
I hugged my daughter and told her I loved her. "I love you, too," she replied.
"Call me when you get back to your Mom's. Let me know that you're safe."
"I will, Dad."
Jenna went around to the passenger side of the car, opened the door, sat down and adjusted herself accordingly. I smiled inwardly as she reached for the seat belt.
"Goodnight, Wes. Thanks for coming..." I said.
"No problem," he replied with a slight smile as he got into the car.
A quick turn of the key and the engine started. From the middle of the nearly dead-end street I watched Wes put on his seat belt and adjusted his GPS. The two were talking, topic unknown. Finally, with everything in place, Wes and Jenna drove away as I stood on the sidelines, waving after my daughter and her boyfriend.
Waving as I watched another piece of her childhood drive away into my yesterdays.

2 Comments:

Blogger Fox In Detox said...

It kills doesn't it? Letting them go. This was the part of being a parent that I hated. Watching him walk down the street alone to a friends house, and away from his own.

9:26 AM, August 11, 2008  
Blogger Andy said...

I am so glad that she is becoming the great young woman that I have always known that she will be. But, in order to do so, she obviously has to leave her childhood behind. We all do it. Its just that I'm on this side of the equation now.

3:15 PM, August 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home