Friday, November 28, 2008

Black Friday


I close my umbrella as I enter the store. I am surprised to see so many people in my usually quiet bookstore. Black Friday, I think to myself, and smile. I'm glad that even the Brattle Book Store sees an increase in sales today.
After climbing the marble staircase to the second floor I squeeze through some book carts over to the nautical section. Here I am looking for "Patrick O'Brian's Navy", a large-format introduction to Napoleonic naval warfare focuses on Patrick O'Brian's splendid Jack Aubrey saga, which it presents as a major work of English literature. As well it should. However, I am thwarted; the Brattle does not have a copy of this book in stock. I file this title away for future reference. After all, I'll be here again.
Browsing through this section I find some old hardcovers of the Hornblower series. The smell of these old hardcover classics fills my senses and I wonder whose fingers once brushed over these pages as mine do now? I decided that it is time to read the next novel in this masterful series by C.S. Forester - "Hornblower and the Atropos". Chronologically this is the 5th book in the series. However, I am skipping the fourth ("Hornblower During the Crisis") as it was the last book written by the author and was unfinished at the time of his death. Pleased with this literary decision, I walk over to the Mythology/Folklore section. However, nothing catches my eye and I walk downstairs to browse the general fiction and Sci-Fi/Fantasy section.
I begin casually browsing when my eyes widen. There, on the top shelf of the "A" section, is a hardcover copy of "Watership Down". No way! Two very good friends have recently (and unexpectedly) suggested this novel to me and I have been looking for it for two months. I knew it would show up here eventually so I waited. Finally, lo and behold, here it is.
I frantically search for a stepladder and, once in hand, I step up and reach for the book. It's a heavy tome. I page through it carefully, scanning as many of the pages as I can. It's in great condition. The book cover lists it for $40.00 and I will buy it for $10.00.
Book score!
I rapidly descend the ladder and walk briskly over to the sales counter. Once there the young man at the counter asks, "Did you find everything you were looking for today, sir?"
Truth be told, no, I didn't. But I found something unexpected today and that is even more rewarding.
My "Black Friday" is now anything but.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I thought you didn't have time for lunch today?

7:45 PM, November 28, 2008  
Blogger Andy said...

As a Thanksgiving bonus (and at the last minute) our supervisor decided to give us each one half hour of time. I walked uptown with a co-worker and we split off at Macys.

8:59 AM, November 30, 2008  
Blogger Rhea said...

I love that store. I always feel so Dickensian when I step inside.

9:31 AM, November 30, 2008  
Blogger Fox In Detox said...

You are going to love "Watership Down"... it is a great book. One of my favorites. There's also an animated film available. It was made in 1978 by Martin Rosen, who later developed the television series back in the late 90's. I don't recommend watching it before you read the book however....as with any other "book to film" venture, it doesn't do the book justice.

6:55 AM, December 01, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home