Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Horrible Duets


It's a beautiful summer day as I drive along Route 3A from Scituate to Marshfield. I have the windows down and the radio turned up. The voice from the back of the car is singing along happily to Melissa Etheridge.
Please baby cant you see
My minds a burnin hell
I got razors a rippin and tearin and strippin
My heart apart as well
What the @#$%!!
Jenna is belting out the lyrics to "I'm the Only One" with all the heart and soul that her nearly four year-old soul can muster. I laugh to myself as she sings
Go on and hold her till the screaming is gone
Go on believe her when she tells you
Nothings wrong
She obviously has no idea what she's singing but it doesn't matter. She knows the words and she likes the melody. That's all she needs. I turn up the music and listen to her sing along.
My daughter, the songbird.
We've always enjoyed music in the car. For years I had various Disney soundtracks for us to enjoy. We joyfully sang along to "The Little Mermaid" where I would sing Sebastian's part during "Under the Sea" or the French Chef during "Les Poisson". When we sang "The Lion King" I was alternately Timon or Pumba for "Hakuna Matata" depending on Jenna's mood.
As Jenna got older her music selections matured also. Soon she had Radio Disney programmed into my car stereo and we sang along to Hanson, A-Teens and a very young Britney Spears. I'm sure that we were seen belting out songs from "Grease" or "ABBA" as we cruised up Route 3 towards Weymouth and, later, Jamaica Plain.
I remember the first time that Jenna sang along to "Hazard to Myself" by Pink. We were caught singing "Man, I Feel like a Woman" at the top of our lungs in front of her Mom's house, too. Pam didn't let me live that down for some time afterwards.
Lately Jenna has been bringing her iPOD on our car trips and I have been exposed to music that I would never listen to. I find that I like music from "The Decemberists" and "My Chemical Romance" and other groups whose names I can't remember right now. When I was her age I could remember who sang a song after hearing it once. Now, not so much. She has always surprised me by adding songs to her iPOD that she knows I like. Pink's "U + UR Hand" and "Candyman" by Christina Aguilera are only a few of the songs she has surprised me with while we're in the car.
Sometime this past Autumn we were driving back home and Jenna was playing the soundtrack to "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog". We love this production. We have laughed over it many, many times. The "Bad Horse Chorus" is enough to put us in stitches.
"So make the Bad Horse gleeful, or he'll make you his mare." - I'm laughing as I type this. God, it's brilliant. Anyway...
Today, we're listening to "My Eyes".
As I sing the first verse I realize that Jenna isn't singing along. Undaunted, I continue on. Jenna joins in as my verse ends, singing Penny's verses.
Of course she is...we're singing a duet.

I love her voice. I still do. 12 years later and we're still singing together in the car.
Sometimes, no matter how things change, some things stay pleasantly the same.

6 Comments:

Blogger Summer Ryan Doyle said...

So many amazing moments you've shared!

I love Joss's music - I could sing the buffy musical episode beginning to finish over and over.

In spite of our tone-def affliction, Thom and I are trying to make music a big part of River's life, so we sing a lot around him. We were listening to "Across the Universe" at lunch the other day - a typical bedtime favorite - and River looked up and said, "Night, night." As in, that's my night, night song. I melted.

Very much looking forward to our own duet moments.

1:59 PM, January 06, 2009  
Blogger Andy said...

I just bought Jenna the complete "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" DVD set so "Once More with Feeling" will soon be a duet, too.

Also, Jenna LOVES "Across the Universe". That is also on her iPOD.

I'm sure that your own little Partride Family will be off and running soon.

2:05 PM, January 06, 2009  
Blogger Fox In Detox said...

Great post friend...and NPH ROCKS! Perfect choice there... really.

7:41 AM, January 07, 2009  
Blogger Cynthia said...

This morning my youngest was watching Sesame Street (due a 90 min. delay)--NPH was on as the Shoe Fairy, complete with suit, tie, and wings!

4:05 PM, January 15, 2009  
Blogger 1st Lady said...

Oh! You must listen to My Chemical Romances 'The Black Parade' and watch the video that goes with it, absolutely fabulous!!

5:46 AM, January 16, 2009  
Blogger Andy said...

"The Black Parade" is most excellent, 1st Lady!

I had heard that NPH was the Shoe Fairy on Sesame Street. Is there NOTHING this man can't do?

7:34 AM, January 16, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home