Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Dog Days


As Katie and I walked back from CVS early Sunday afternoon I was taken back by how quiet it was on Centre Street. Not quiet...maybe "still" is a better word. Nothing was moving; no pedestrians and nearly no cars were to be found anywhere. The threat of thunderstorms in the local forecast and the drowning humidity made storms all but assured. Based on this forecast we had cancelled our trip to the art show in the South End to await the oncoming storm.
Once back at home (with my shirt fairly sticking to my body) we opened the door to a beautiful 70 degree centrally air conditioned house. I was now convinced that we had made the right choice to cancel our plans. It was a hazy, hot and humid Sunday in July and I did not feel like spending it outside at all.
It's about time, too.
Don't misunderstand me - I do not enjoy a "hazy, hot and humid" anything but I am happy for those people who suffer the other nine months of the year in New England just to get to the Dog Days of Summer.
The "dog days of summer" of course refers to the hottest, most sultry days of summer. In the northern hemisphere they usually fall between early July and early September. The Old farmer's Almanac lists the traditional timing of the Dog Days as the 40 days beginning July 3 and ending August 11, coinciding with the ancient heliacal (at sunrise) rising of the Dog Star, Sirius. These are traditionally the days of the year when rainfall is at its lowest levels.
Tradition was thrown out the window this year. After suffering through the coldest, rainiest June that I can remember in my whole 43 years clearly the dog days of summer have finally arrived in New England.
Now, during the last week of July, the Dog days are finally here.
I'll be in my air-conditioned house...probably napping...

3 Comments:

Blogger Fox In Detox said...

Good plan! It's gross out. Some day, I will live in Alaska.... and like it.

8:22 AM, July 29, 2009  
Blogger Andy said...

You haven't even made it to Arizona yet and you're already talking about Alaska?? I only have so many frequent flyer miles, ya know...

12:48 PM, July 29, 2009  
Blogger Cynthia said...

There is also a wonderful meteor shower every year on August 12 and 13, the Perseids, which can be seen at the cool hour of 10 p.m. onward.

2:54 PM, July 30, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home