Friday, August 28, 2009

Unexpectedly Orange


Wednesday evening, After a long, arduous day, I joined the throngs of traffic on route 128, heading for home. I was soul-weary and contemplative. The sun was setting; my mind was everywhere and nowhere as I neared the Blue Hills.
Suddenly The yellow-gold light of sunset surrounded by the blue haze of the late day sky changed. In an instant the thick, puffy clouds overhead blazed with a brilliant orange, more Autumnal than summer, changing the hue and complexion of everything around me. The road ahead looked as if it was a movie shot with an orange lens. I had never seen anything like it.
"Wow. An orange-colored sky'", I mused to myself.
Suddenly I was grinning from ear-to-ear.
The song "Orange-Colored Sky" by Natalie Cole was one of Jenna's favorites as a child. She would sing it loud and often in the car with me. In fact, it is a staple on her I-Pod even today.
I could not help but appreciate the fact that the sky over my head - an orange colored sky - took place both on her birthday and right when I needed it most.

4 Comments:

Blogger Fox In Detox said...

Love that song.. thanks for sharing :o)

10:55 AM, August 28, 2009  
Blogger Bridget said...

How sweet it is...

9:27 PM, August 30, 2009  
Blogger Lara Carter said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:21 AM, September 01, 2009  
Blogger Lara Carter said...

(sorry - forgot the link the first time)

Ashley and Kati used to wait to belt out "Wham, bam, Alakazam! Outta the orange colored, purple striped!" at which point they would both forget the words. Funny we both did car sing-alongs to that. I guess you would say memories such as these really are "Unforgettable." P.S. We also thought we sounded incredible singing along to Kristen Chenoweth's "Girl in 14G" which of course, only Chenoweth and perhaps a member of the heavenly host can pull off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBJn4BHtqqY

2:38 AM, September 01, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home