Friday, May 28, 2010

Across the Finish Line


Jenna graduates from Scituate High School next Friday. However, today is her last official day of classes. It still amazes me to think about this fact.
I called Jenna this morning to wish her a good day. I assumed that she would be on her way to school - perhaps with a coffee - to sit out the next few hours in barely-contained glee.
I should have known better.
When she answered the phone, Jenna was already partying in the high school parking lot. In the background music and laughter filled the air. I could barely hear what she was saying but the joy in her voice was unmistakable. I laughed out loud and congratulated her on making the most of this day.
As I thought about my daughter and her friends celebrating this momentous occasion I couldn't help but think about my high school days with my friends. I wish that we had done something like this when we graduated from high school so many years ago.
Still, it seems that high school kids are the same in any era and from anyplace. The world is at their feet and their futures are months away. For now, there is just this moment; this final goodbye from the world that she has known for twelve academic years. I do not know what friends Jenna will bring with her from high school as her life moves forward. I do know that she will never forget this life that she leaves behind.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cynthia said...

Huzzah!! Cheers for Jenna!!

And for you, too, Andy, father of the graduate.

Remember that feeling of freedom that came from being released from school? There are days I truly miss that.

8:12 AM, May 31, 2010  
Blogger Fox In Detox said...

I remember out last day of high school like it was yesterday. I remember feeling glad to be free of classes, but unsure of where my life would go, or what I would do. It was a bittersweet feeling. Much like the one I have now, and you will have again in the not so distant future.

Hugs to you my friend...and also, Buono viaggio!

11:37 AM, June 04, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home